Letter from Natasha Sharma


Dear readers,

            Hello from the fullest, largest and fastest city in India - Mumbai. It feels anything but this at the moment though. The streets are bare so it certainly doesn’t look the ‘fullest’. I never leave my building that I live in, so the city doesn’t feel like the largest and no one is going anywhere for it to be called the ‘fastest’!

My home is my world now. When I thought of this phrase the other day, I decided to hold onto this thought because it made me feel a warm and fuzzy sort of happy. It’s full of family and while there are times when we might not want to see each other for a bit, I’ve never had my children here to hug, anytime I feel like it. (I’ve even sneaked into their room and given them a mid-morning online class hug.) This is particularly important when the children are now teenagers towering over me and I have fewer opportunities to do this in their regular day.

I’ve never cooked so much in my life and while there are days I get all grumpy about it, I’ve also never tried so many new recipes, which makes every day quite an adventure. The butter paneer masala and naans were a big thumbs up. The rasmalai exploded into tiny bits of rubbery paneer floating in gloopy milk, a definite thumbs down, but we ate it all the same since anything sweet is hard to come by. I’ve found that the trick for me is to look for the happier side of the coin (do coins have happy sides?).

            As most writers do, I tend to have my antennae always up to pick up ideas and thoughts. I see things that people usually walk past, like I’m living in a parallel universe. That seems to have gone into overdrive because everything has slowed down around me. So here are my top two observations for this week.   

            Observation 1: My bougainvillea plant has a favourite corner. I’m sure of it. I moved it a few months ago to another corner of my balcony and it shriveled up and looked really sad and droopy. And then, in a moment of frustration, I moved it back to where it had been. Voila! It’s flowering again and looks perkier than ever before. So plants have favourite spots. 

            Observation 2: This came about when I was admiring the bougainvillea. I have a rather annoying bunch of crows in the vicinity. They are fearless and can steal a biscuit or a toast off an unattended plate lying in the balcony in the blink of an eye. This crow turned up while I was sitting outside having my tea and cooing at my now flowering bougainvillea. This meant I was multi-tasking, something I am not very good at - shielding my biscuit and cooing at the bougainvillea. That’s when the crow swooped in on my dear plant, grabbed a twig in its beak, gave it a solid tug to break it and was off with it. All this in a matter of seconds while I sat there gaping with my mouth open till I finally chomped on the biscuit I had saved, while losing a precious bougainvillea twig.

Since this unfortunate loss of a twig, I’ve been walking around looking up at the sky (just to clear things here – this is still a part of Observation 2). And what I’ve seen is this: almost every other crow (Mumbai has been taken over by crows) and a few kites as well, all seem to be flying around with beaks overloaded with twigs, dry grass, an occasional wire and sometimes, even a colourful string. And then I began to notice the fuzzy shapes of nests in the trees outside my building. In all these years, I’ve never seen the crows building their nests in such a frenzy. It’s like a giant construction site up overhead!

So here’s what I’ve decided for myself and perhaps you’ll find something in this that you’d like to try.

Just like my bougainvillea, I definitely have a favourite corner in the house. For me, it’s my study and particularly my writing table. I go to it often since it makes me happy. Often I just sit there and don’t write a word. I get particularly grumpy when I can’t get some time to myself there. So find your happy spot and curl up with a book, perhaps? Also, it is okay to be grumpy and grouchy at times!  



And just like the giant construction site in nature outside, I must build things of my own because to sit without doing anything would be as unnatural as nature coming to a stop. You could use anything to create. Words for a story, images, lines, paint for an art piece, music notes for a song, pictures on your phone into a family collage, sheets and chairs to build a tent or ingredients in the kitchen, even if it results in exploding rasmalai.

And give each other hugs (if you are a teenage reading this, no, you don’t have to do social distancing with your parents.)

Stay safe, stay busy, stay curled up with a book.

With love and wishes for days when you can go outside and run to your heart’s content.

Natasha


An award-winning children’s books author, Natasha has published twenty books for children till date. Beginning with her ever-popular book ‘Icky, Yucky, Mucky’, Natasha has written across age groups and formats from picture books, early chapter books, graphic novels to historical fiction for children in the History Mystery series. Often wielding humour on the page, her stories are known to lead to many giggles. Her poems have featured in anthologies, course-books for schools and on the CBSE recommended reading list. Natasha is an MBA with a graduate degree in Math and lives in Mumbai with her husband, two children and a recent addition to the family - her dog, Molly. You can find out more about her books at www.natashasharma.in and follow her at these places: Instagram: @WritesNatasha, Twitter: @WritesNatasha, Fb: @NatashaSharmaWrites




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter from Shabnam Minwalla